Sunday, June 10, 2012

I so don't like weekends!

Weekends are horribly boring. I used to like them, but they also used to have some substance to them. Ever since I moved to the other side of the ocean, they feel like a horrible waste of precious time. 

I bet this sounds weird, even moreso because I am not one of those people who are absolutely in love with their jobs and who can't wait to get up in the morning to go to work. I am nowhere near that, unfortunately. Last time I felt that way, I actually did something I really liked and was really interested in. Right now, work is what pays the bills. But, in all reality, it's in a way better than no work.

I am not a big fan of schedules, structures and rules either, but I do find life to be a lot more interesting if I can see a purpose of, say, my hours. So during weekdays, once I go in, there's the end of the shift to look forward to. Then some errands to run (usually just a grocery run or something similar, because this tiny little town makes sure nothing at all can be accomplished outside of the 8-5 window, unfortunately), a meal to cook for the next day, and overall, that's about it. Then the whole deal starts all over again the next morning.

Boring as hell, I tell you! 

It's getting close to my third anniversary in the American Midwest (a town of, according to the latest census, something like 50,000 people) and I still don't think I understand what is going on here. Or isn't going on, when I think about it. I don't know what people do for fun, or at least what I do know of I have to admit I don't consider to be interesting at all, or something I would personally do.

To me, weekends used to be time to get some cleaning done, maybe some shopping, but the majority of those free school/work-less hours would be spent with family and friends. People get together and go out, for instance. Sometimes, it's all about some bigger, organized gatherings that include grilling, drinks and whatnot, but a lot more often it's just a nice walk downtown, or somewhere else, and some time spent around a table of some sort, at a cafe bar or something similar. No mandatory foods, no horrible fountain drinks or just plain water. Instead, you actually get to choose between dozens of different non-alcoholic beverages, ranging from sodas to natural fruit juices, all of which come in single packages, instead of the fountains. And your cups are always made of glass (I really miss that, as I find the icky plastic containers to be, well, kind of disgusting). 

I miss the cafes and other places where you could sit down and just hang out without needing to order an entire meal (that then often consists of things you don't even like, or normally wouldn't ever eat). Once you're with people, nobody needs to run and be somewhere else the next hour, so even if you do choose to eat, you won't need to quit eating midway through your meal because the other party is getting ready to leave. People don't split the bills constantly, especially if you're out with someone you see on a regular basis. If you pay this time, they are likely to return the favour next time around. Or, seriously, who cares. I guess I am just not all that used to counting. 

Another thing I miss is - walking. I've been walking a lot lately, as part of my pregnancy exercise routine and it's pretty sad to not ever see another human being, pretty much. I don't walk through fields or woods, or anything like that, but instead the residential area where it would (eh, should) be pretty normal to see other people, especially during summer time, in the evening, when the sun is down and the temperature becomes not just bearable but actually pretty damn awesome. Yet, there is nothing. People don't use their yards, kids don't play outside, barely anyone ever walks their dog. I have no clue where everyone is and what they do with their time. It's kind of none of my business, but I find it all to be pretty depressing and sad. At almost any given time, the town looks like it's just been struck with several nuclear bombs; it just simply lacks life. 

Unless you go to the mall, I suppose. That place is always busy, and so are other stores. I suppose everyone needs some air conditioning and a roof above their head, for just in case purposes. Perhaps the fresh air and daylight turns people into pumpkins. 

Perhaps if I golfed, or wanted to run by myself or if I would be happy with a seventy year old walking companion wearing sneakers and a sun visor, there would be something for me to do that would include another person. Or maybe if I wanted to get stoned at a bar on weekends, I'd find someone to accompany me in my adventures. If none of the above tickles my fancy, I suppose I'm on my own.

There is not much going on in this town, anyway, and if someone does organize something, for this or that reason they love to plan their activities (shows, fairs, festivals, what have you) for the worst hours of the day during the summer. Wouldn't you love an outdoor activity in the sun from noon to three or something of the sort? You wouldn't? Wow, what's wrong with you? It's lovely out there during that time! The temperature usually hits way over 30C in the shade (with likely some nice forties or sixties s in the sun), it's awesome and humid and, above all, windy. And if you're lucky, your venture might even end with a trip to the hospital once you overcook and nearly die. 

Not my cup of tea, I have to admit. My fourth summer in Minnesota is about to begin and I am already hating it. Before I moved here, I was told summers were nice, not nearly as hot and bad as they are back in Croatia. Well, I suppose I was lied to. Except for that first year, 2009, when I came here at the beginning of August, everything else was plain crap. Too hot, too humid and absolutely useless. On top of that, I have yet to see some real spring and fall weather, too, so I have to officially say that I love the Minnesota winter. At least with that one, you know what you're getting and, if you wear the right clothes (which you can, because it's accessible and cheap), you can actually go places and get things done. In summer, you can die from boredom, unless dying outside is something you live for. With no tall buildings around, you can't usually even walk anywhere during the day because there's no shade. Parking away from the sun is impossible, as well. There's no sea, or even any clear water I'd want to dip my butt in anywhere in the area.

So, bleh. I am seriously disappointed with the weather here, just like I am disappointed with the social life - there are no options. I wonder if living in a bigger city would change this (on this side of the ocean, that is). I assume it would, or at least even Minneapolis sounds interesting when I hear about daily events on the radio. But for now, that's not an option.

We'll see what happens sometime down the road. At this point, I'm nearly halfway done cooking the little bun. Perhaps things will change when the baby arrives. (Or at least I'll have someone to take for a walk with me, even if it's against their will).

(Have I ever said how much I hate weekends and how pointless I think they are?)

11 comments:

  1. Tko bi rekao da je tamo tako. Svi oni americki filmovi uvijek pokazuju ono - ocevi i sinovi se dobacuju lopticom pred kucom, pas trci okolo, majka mase s porca.. A ono shipak. I bljak za plasticne salice za kavu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iako situacija nije bas ruzicasta, evo meni je bas bilo zanimljivo. Nadam se da su se stvari malo promijenile od juna i da je zima podnosljivija.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pročitaj ovdje suprotan slučaj, blog jednog Amerikanca koji živu u Zagrebu, on nema takvih problema :-)
    http://zablogreb.blogspot.com/2013/01/having-coffee-in-croatia-or-idemo-na.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. People who live in the suburbs live for their families and work. Social life is limited to really close friends and family. Possibly sports and hobbies. If you´re married and living in suburbia, resign yourself to a slow death from boredom. Or become an American and persuade yourself that you live in the best country on Earth, like the others apparently have. Until they get sick, lose their jobs or some lunatic shoots up their kids` school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. iako su nam okolnosti potpuno razlicite, osjecaj je isti. zivot u britaniji je bez godisnjih doba, vjecita jesen. nekad toplija, nekad hladnija, ali vjecito sivilo. drustveni zivot je sarolikiji do kraja studenskih dana, a onda se svodi na eventualno opijanje s kolegama iz uredu nakon posla u najblizem pubu. zive prilicno izolirano i za hrvatske pojmove monotono. punim drustvene i zivotne baterije odlascima u zagreb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A meni se uvijek nekako cinilo da su tamo svi jako drustveni i da tesko moze biti dosadno.

      Delete
  6. We don't know what we have until we lose it. In protestant overseas countries life is work and church. The sport is only for children and professionals. In USA all sport is only played in schools and at Universities.In Croatia every village has sport teams, being soccer(football),basketball, and other regional sports, like water-polo, and few others. Also cultural activities and associations: folklore, choirs, klapas, orchestras, and in bigger cities, symphony orchestras, theaters, operas, ballets plus more. Nothing of that kind in here.It has to be a city of few millions to support part time activities as are full time in Croatia. When I emigrated to Australia most lonely days were weekends. Lonely Sundays, nothing to do, and nowhere to go. Empty towns.No people to see or to socialize with. By the time I got to the USA, I got used to this,so called life stile. Don't believe TV or Hollywood crap. It is all show to fool rest of the world and them self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so difficult to be a stranger in a strange land. My American daughter moved to England with her English husband. She misses her home country. I often asked people who left their home countries why they chose to come to the USA. The usual answer was to give their children a better education and a better life. But it always seemed to me that what they left behind was so much more precious. The rich full life of family and friends and the culture that was built around the customs and traditions of hundreds of years was traded for material things. What is worth living for? What is worth dying for? Certainly not cheap goods made in China. I hope that you will find a passionate interest in something and find like minded people to share that interest with and with that try to build your own extended family. I send you love and hope for you to find and make joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zbilja na filmovima i u serijama sve izgleda vrlo "obiteljski" i dobrosusjedski.

    ReplyDelete