Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Good Mood Food

I swear, Mankato dies around the time chickens go to bed. Once the sun falls behind the local YMCA building, everything is done and over with for the day. If there is night life, it's happening far away from this pair of eyes.

There are bars, I guess, but those don't seem to be my cup of tea. I don't drink, I don't care about sports (especially those I don't even understand) and I couldn't care less about bar food either. Derek is the same. And that, then, leaves us with nothing.

Every once in a while we'd like to grab a bite to eat at a later hour. No, we're not talking about three in the morning - ten in the evening would be just fine. And what happens? Nothing is open, other than a few fast foods. 

We spent a couple hours at Derek's parents' house this evening, scanning some paperwork for my immigration business. And then we got hungry. Amongst the awesome choices, he picked Arby's. The door said -  restauant closed for the night; drive-through open. Argh. Hate drive-troughs. I can't choose anything for the life of me from those huge billboard-looking panels. I don't go to fast foods often enough to be ready to recite my picks. 

Derek went with some philly steak sandwich and mozzarela sticks. I picked onion rings. I like onion rings. I think I like onion rings. I've actually had them a certain, smallish number of times in my life and a few of those were really good. The rest were pretty disastrous. Arby's onion rings were a waste of money. Onedollarninetynine cents and some tax went down the drain or, actually, down the ravine. I feel bad whenever I throw some food away. Luckily, we have the racoons around here.

This Good Mood Food, as their packaging says, turned a decent mood evening into a smelly, bad taste in the mouth kind of parade.

Ick. Ick. Ick. Heaped with Happiness was more like Heaped with Rancid Oil.



Dear Arby's, you will not see me again. (I should have known better; someone made me try their curly fries long ago. I gagged.)

Whenever I get my moments of accepting fast food into my relig.. I mean system, I should probably stick to McDonalds. Their small little hamburger has yet to let me know. The fluffy bun, tastless piece of meat, sprinkle of shitty mustard... it just can't go wrong. It's always as lame as expected. These other things, however, usually get me horribly disappointed. 

Now I sound like a fast food expert. And I am not. I got to see quite a few places this summer while my sister and her boyfriend were here. Thanks to Ben's Food Manifesto, I actually went some places I wouldn't have gone to and ate things I otherwise wouldn't have eaten. I think Sonic won the Worst So-Called Food  title during the challenge. Their onion rings just beat anyone else's. I think it's safe to say Sonic is not even food.

Anyway, enough with all this food. I washed the windows today. All of them on the main floor. Then I raked the yard. And our yard is not so small. Then I got rained on. It was pretty neat. Almost mid October and I was out there in my summer clothes at seven in the evening, getting rained on. I now have blisters on my hands. I ache a bit. And that's, actually, just fine. It's a nice moonlit night, too. I turned off the lights while driving back home from Derek's parents. For a little while, at least. Yes, ok, I know that's not safe. But I get the kick out of it. Especially in the winter. And no, not on a highway or anything.

I think I felt my first heartburn ever on my way home tonight. Before I tasted the disastrous onion rings. It's gone now, though. The wheels of grease washed it away, I suppose.

Off to bed with me. 

Guten Nacht.

No comments:

Post a Comment