Saturday, October 8, 2011

Today, I fail at coming up with good titles. Or bad ones, for that matter.

I cooked the leeks today. But before that, let me tell you about my shopping experience.

Actually, there's not much to say, that's not been said many times either in my own posts (elsewhere, obviously), or other people's as well. I ran out this morning to get our mortgage payment dropped off at the bank (personal checks, anyone?) and then I needed a few more groceries. I hate shopping on Saturdays, but there's not much that can be done about it. With a full time job, that's usually when I have the most time. And, well, I usually don't know what to do on wekeends anyway.

I was turning the world upside down last night, and then this morning as well, looking for Golla camera bags. Apparently they sell their stuff at various stores here in the US, but I have to admit it's kind of a lie. They'll have a random cell phone bag and that's it. I did find one at our local Target. Not quite the right color, but it will do. I love the insides and the camera fits perfectly.

Here's my new baby:

The SD card has not made it yet to our doorstep, but the old one is, for now, doing just fine.

Anyway. I went shopping, I said. I went to Walmart; I have to admit that's my favourite place for groceries. They have just about everything I need and their prices are a lot lower than at other grocery stores. I usually don't find any fresh produce there, but that's okay - that's what I have Saint Peter's Co-op for and, only sometimes, Mankato Farmer's Market. The latter is open almost never and isn't usually accessible to anyone who has a full time job. But that's okay. Most businesses, other than retail, are not there for you unless you choose to take a day off to get the job done. At five in the afternoon, the little city dies, pretty much. After that, you can go shopping or, well, you can eat. And that's it.

So here are the photos:

This isn't butter, y'know.
Tons of different so-called yogurts. I will eat exactly three from these shelves, even though it's usually just one
Big enough?
These guys can be squeezed directly into your mouth...
Big enough? I bought the small one. Last night, at a different store, they had some ready-to-eat pudding in a can this big.
I have never had ramen.
Boxes, boxes everywhere!







Unfortunately, for me and my bank account, that is, the contents of this cart probably cost a lot less than a few items that I purchased today. All the wrong items are insanaly cheap here. I forgot to take a picture of my own cart, but it doesn't really matter.

I cooked lunch today, now that I finally had those leeks. Some time ago, I stumbled upon an interesting recipe on a co-worker's blog and I thought it'd be neat to try that dish. It's easy and simple - sauteed leek, zucchini and garlic (I used a spoon or two of olive oil), with sage and yogurt. The mixture then gets added to pasta.

The veggies, still raw.

The veggies, now cooked. With yogurt.


The final product, mixed with IKEA organic pasta. Moose-shaped!

This was good, I have to say. The leeks were still crispy and they tasted really, really good. Zucchini as well. Pasta was good. Yogurt... not so much. The whole dish makes for a nice light meal, but there needs to be something done about the dairy part of it. I'll have to try adding some Greek yogurt (I can't stand eating those things for the life of me) because its high fat content might keep it from separating as much - Danon natural (low fat, as I don't purchase anything that's no-fat or no-sugar-added-enjoy-your-artificial-poison) disintegrated and turned mostly into water and some sour-ish curds. Either way, Derek said he wouldn't eat this. Then I made it. Then he ate two full bowls. Ha. I win this time, again.

After lunch, we opened the big box that was dropped off at our doorstep again. Parthenon Foods, whee! Here are the goodies Derek chose this time:

The olive salad is godlike. Godlike, I say!

I'm hungry already, btw. The lunch lacked... substance. Which is good, I suppose. I've been losing some flab again, whee.

Derek is taking me out for dinner tonight. I have no idea where I want to go, but I am sure I will take pictures. I'd love to eat pizza. I've not had any since last October. The round pieces of dough with some toppings I've had since... well, I don't really count those.

P.S. I hope my yesterday's followers have not abandoned me already. I might've deleted their names in error, too? Uhoh.

No comments:

Post a Comment