Monday, January 23, 2012

Az-ICK-i Beans

I decided to cook something with azuki beans tonight and I wanted it to be a meal different than, say, chili or some other bean stew or soup. After exploring some of my options (google, of course), I decided to go with Heidi Swanson's Azuki and Butternut Squash Soup recipe. We love beans, we love butternut squash... so how could things even go wrong, right?

Oh, they sure could. And they did.

I didn't have that chipotle whatever that the recipe called for, so I replaced it with some crushed peppers, as well as some crushed chili. I prepared my coriander and other spices in a mortar (btw. don't mortar and pestle remind you of some kickass British detectives, such as, say, Dalziel and Pascoe?), chopped the onions, warmed up the oil and started cooking.

Everything was kind of good up until the point where the cinnamon started smelling of dessert. Wroooooong. This is my main course, not some cake, yet the whole house smelled of cinnamony... onions. Ick. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Garlic didn't help either. I added the butternut squash, then the tomatoes, too and at that point I realized that the smell of this whole blend made me, kind of, gag. Ick. I tasted the thing, too, and found the flavour to be extremely repulsive. 

The pot is now at our doorstep, in the snow, cooling down. Once it gets to some reasonable temperature, I'll flush it down the toilet. I feel bad about throwing food away, but I don't think anyone I know would eat this. Even moreso because I never added the beans - I decided to save them and cook something edible on Wednesday.

Ick, ick, ick.

But at least I took a nice photo? 


The only issue I have now is tomorrow's lunch: I'll be out and about all day and I have pretty much no healthy options, other than chewing on some grass again.  Ohwell. Better luck next time, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment