Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year's Resolutions? None, sorry. But I can talk about fat instead... and my muscle. Let's not forget my gorgeous muscle.

I don't have any. I actually can't remember if I've ever made any as I kind of find them to be pretty ridiculous. I do make plans and decisions, though, but they happen randomly, regardless of what day or date it actually is.

So I really don't have much of anything to share here. I plan to do what I've been doing and I'll try to improve at all those things. (Yeah, ok, I'm a big megalomaniac at times.)

I've looked at a few blogs where people talk about healthy living and I can't, over and over again, but stare at them blankly. While it's really nice that they've achived their goals or at least worked hard towards them (and I admire them for that!), I just can't figure out the healthy living part. But then again, I'm slowly getting used to being different when it comes to foods we eat at home and what we consider good and healthy. Low fat? Sweeteners instead of sugars? Diet products? Those don't live in our home. So far, I've only done a good job avoiding them and my doctor reports agree with what I believe (and practice). So whatever. Luckily, there's pretty much always enough room for shrugging it all off.

I had a fitness assessment appointment tonight at the Y and I have to admit that I am pretty (pleasantly) surprised. I am actually decently fit, especially for someone of my size. I already knew my blood pressure and resting heart rate would be normal, but I also got average, normal results when they took the pressure after my three-minute-killing-me-not-so-softly stepping session. I thought the stepping part was going to be fine... and, well, I was wrong in the end, of course. Derrrp. 

Then they had some smartass scale calculate all kinds of fun and not so fun stuff. My body fat percentage is pretty damn high, but that didn't surprise me at all. My bone mass rang at 6.6 somethings and that, apparently puts me into a really healthy bone-bracket, whee. No osteoporosis threats for me, at least for now!  My muscles weigh 55.8 kilograms (123 lbs), so that made me kind of giggle. My muscle alone weighs as much as an average woman. From South Korea, not, say, the US. Rawr. I guess it's kind of hilarious to blame one's bones for their obesity, huh?

However, my upper body strength is - nonexistent. They made me lift 13.6 kilos (30 lbs) while lying on something (Derek said this torture machine was called bench press) and I failed to do more than four lifts. Thne I laughed. Then the guy said I shouldn't, because it's pretty obvious that my magical muscles actually live in the bottom half of my body. Then he prescribed some strength training and then I sighed and moved on. I mean, yes, I understand it needs to be done. Do I like it? Hell no!

The magic scale also said that my body water was only 41%, or something like that. Oops. I guess I was wrong, thinking I was well hydrated. This is the most important thing I need to work on, said my tonight's guru. How? I have no clue, because I really kept thinking, all this time, that  drink enough. I suppose I should randomly down a couple more bottles of water a day, then. This needs to go up at least 10 - 15% and then it will, at the same time, mean that my body fat is decreasing and that my muscles are growing and that the world, as a whole, will all be rainbows and butterflies. Yup. Just you wait.

Hmm. What else did I leaarn today? Aha, I can lean and reach and whatnot a bit more than some random woman would. Ok. This actually isn't new - I've known all along about my uber-ultra-awesome-flexibility. Physical flexibility, of course. Otherwise I'm a tough cookie.

Finally, the trainer taught me how to monitor my heart rate and what to do with my elliptical friend. It turned out I had been running too fast and pushing my heart rate to some reasonable, yet too-much-cardio planes of existence. He said I should focus more on burning my fat through exercise, instead of my carbs. Hmmm. I might need to look into this one a bit further before I completely change my routine. And then I heard more about cross training and my other archnemesis - treadmill. Ok, I said, I will try to somehow make friends with that one, too. Le sigh and all that jazz. I don't have all these reports on me, so all of this is actually pulled out of my awesome memory. They'll give me the paperwork later, after two more sessions, at least. So that'll be about 16 weeks out, total.

All in all, I am not as bad as one would expect. Whee. Actually, I am pretty damn proud of my ass these days. Today will be the 2nd month anniversary of my renewed friendship with the gym and I am down 6.8 kilograms (15 pounds) and 11 centimeters (4.3 inches) around my waist. 

There are some suitcases to be sewn. Ohyes.


And, uh, what else is new? Hmm. Not much, I guess. I suppose I am very proud of my long elaborate post on gym, exercise and body fat-like substances. I mean, after all, that's what one does in the US right after New Year's. 
I was going to rant a bit about the New Year's celebrations here (not our particular one, but in general), but I guess I'll leave that for some other day. It's kind of getting close to bedtime now, yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment